Type to search

#BlackLivesMatter Global

Recent College Graduate Beat to Death Outside of a Bar in Greece

Jamal Muhammad July 15, 2017

Now people are killing us over selfies?

Zakynthos, Greece — University of Arizona graduate Bakari Henderson just received his bachelor’s in business finance and entrepreneurship, and he traveled to Zakynthos, a Greek island, with friends to celebrate completing college.

Bakari Henderson (middle) attending his college graduation at the University of Arizona. Photo Credit: Jill Henderson

Sadly enough, the 22-year-old did not make it back to the United States alive.

Greek police spokesperson Theodore Chronopoulos said that Henderson was involved in an altercation at the bar while on vacation. In some way, the request for a picture escalated to customers and two employees to brutally beat Henderson to his demise. According to The Washington Post, there is video footage from businesses surrounding the bar, displaying a group of men assaulting Henderson.

The Arizona grad was unconscious, and the men continue to strike the young man viciously for 30 seconds.

The confrontation started in a predominantly Serbian bar. A 33-year-old suspect got into an argument with Henderson over a selfie he took with the waitress. The suspect then struck Henderson, and the 22-year-old broke a beer bottle on another bar goer’s table. Moments later, an estimate of 10 to 15 men ran after Henderson to beat him and leave for dead.

The young man later died at the hospital.

Daniel Brown, one of the three friends who were with Henderson on vacation, had a different story to tell ABCNews. In an interview, Brown said that they were all minding their own business when randomly the 15 men lashed out at Henderson, according to The Root.

Henderson’s aunt, Jan Richardson, who spoke on behalf of the family, wanted the real answers from the investigators about the death of her nephew, instead of “he said/she said.” Richardson believed that Henderson was destined to do great things.

“There’d been lots of rumors floating around. We don’t have any official notice of what happened other than the fact, of course, that he was killed,” said Richardson in a Washington Post interview.

Friends and family created a GoFundMe account to raise money for the return of Henderson’s body and the cost of his funeral, according to The Root. The Henderson family have raised over $70,000 with the goal of raising $80,000.